Courage and Honor

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tournament testing

Howdy all, Well this weekend I took some of the units you have seen, and some of the one you haven't seen to a tournament at the Chicago battle bunker to get ready for the NOVA open in two weeks. To start off, this tournament was run by the bunker staff, and this has not been done for quite sometime in the bunker. I have to say for a first time running a tournament in quite awhile they did a really great job! They kept to the time schedule, answered any rules questions clearly, and made sure all participants were taken care of, hats off to them. Some of the seasoned tournament players, gave some good input on scenarios and objectives that I feel will be applied to make there next tournament even better. I should also add that there was a really good turnout with a solid field of gamers, and the fact that you did not have to have your army painted made for a nice way to test out units you may be thinking about putting into your tournament lists.



Okay now onto how I did, I went 1-1-1 on the day. Things could have rolled better for me if you get my meaning, but the army I brought overall did what I wanted it to do. I realized I need to bee a bit more aggressive with my middle field troops, I was being a bit of a sissy and bot moving forward when needed, and that I need a new commander for my shock and awe force. Over the next couple weeks I will be displaying my force as it gets completely painted so you will get to see the units I am talking about. Below are the three opponents and there armies, I will give a quick summary of each.



Eldar was first up, and my opponent Bruce H (Bruce I cant remember your last name, sorry man) Was my favorite opponent. He was one of the nicest people I have meet gaming, and a pleasure to battle against. This game used kill points and the relic objectives from the 40k rulebook. Bruce beat me 12 -8 on kills points, and up until the last turn he was smoking me. I got lucky in the last turn and made up some ground. His nasty units, or the unit that really hurt me in this game was his two fire prisms. My shock and awe force did really well in his back field, before the fire Prisms got to them i should say. A great game!


 

Dark Eldar, and My man Chris Walker were second draw. So what do you get when you put to very loud people on the same table??? A really loud fun game! and I had just that. For this mission we distributed 5 objectives and flipped them over after deployment. each was worth a different amount of VPs.  As you can see from the picture Chris ran a wicked amount of venom's. This was topped of with a nasty warriors sqaud with he Barron in it, I couldn't touch that unit. I had my work cut out for myself. Chris pulled the highest objective closet to him, and guess who set up on it, okay to be fair, I shoot out his raider and then he set up on it. I managed to slow his advance with some lucky shooting in the first turn, and then things got bogged down on my part. with 10 minutes left Chris had  6 total vps, an objective worth 4, slay the warlord, and first blood secondary objectives. I had 1 vp from objectives, and......... yeah that's it. But Chris the aggressive guy,  agrees that we each should take a 5 minute turn, in which I managed to deny him his 4 point objective, and capture 10 more points myself.....can we say LUCKY!! And a big thank you to Chris for going for it. I won 11 - 2,, crazy right!






















Okay last up my man, Jeff Florio, with his awesome guard. This was an objective game, and we had three on the table. This game was a draw, but a draw do to time constraints really. As you can see Jeff has Guard, with lots of tanks, and I had a heavy guard element in my list as well, so if I did my math right, we had just about 20 tanks on the table, not counting the three drop pods and all the infantry running around, we just could not get it all done in the time frame. We made it to the 4th turn, and Jeff did not get to shoot everything, and in the last minute I requested that I would like to try and contest by zipped my vendetta onto the field and grav chute insertioning ( I think I just created that word) my platoon Command squad onto an objective since I was not even going to see my fourth turn. I manage to pull off the move, and pull a draw. Now this was again a great game, I have been playing against Jeff for many years now, and I always seem to giggle the whole game every time we play. there always fun. I think in the end if the game would have played out, I would have lost to attrition. It was simply awesome to see all the vehicles on the battle field.

So there you have it, a quick summary of the tournament. I have another one this coming Sunday, then im off to DC for the NOVA!! okay back to painting, stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Looks fun and it is nice to see the bunker doing a tournament.

    ReplyDelete