This weekend I got to play a game with my Dark Eldar army that I am working on, and I now have a unit that I think I may never go without in a regular size game. The Archon & Court. Now when I first read about the court of the Archon I was not overly impressed with all the units, and you had to take at least one of each. The Ur-Ghul's, and Sslyth's were cool, but I was not a huge fan of the Medusa and Lhamaean. Well I was wrong!
In the past I have been playing Space Marines, and using a the terminator death star unit, Land Raider, Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield Terminators, and a terminator Librarian, Quite a nasty unit with much staying and hitting power. This unit came in as a whole at about 600 points. Now for 415 points I pick up the following:
- Archon w/ Huskblade, Shadow Field, Soul Trap, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Haywire Gernades.
- 1 Lhamaean
- 2 Medusa
- 2 Ur-Ghul
- 3 Sslyth
- Raider with Flicker Field
- This unit is faster than the Terminators, and most units in the game, by far. The Archon has 6 attacks on the charge, the Sslyth, and Ur-Ghuls pack a ton of Str 5 attacks on the charge, and the Lhamaean & Archon attacks are poisoned (2+).
- The Sslyth's are tough 5, 2 wounds, which helps with high str weapons.
- Add a homculus to the mix and the unit starst the game with feel no pain, and rest assured more tokens are soon to follow.
- They all have fleet, which makes them really fast.
- The Medusa were a surprising plus as well, not in the CC department, but with shooting. They use a template weapon of varying str, and ap, but being a template no cover saves can be taken. I managed to wipe out a unit of marines in cover by rolling an okay str and low ap. was nice, and to top it off the Sslyth carry carbines (aasualt 3).
- Low Armour save, but the speed of the unit makes up for that, and makes me think this unit has a real chance of being my much cheaper death star unit. I wonder what this unit could do to a unit of Thunder Wolf Cavalry, or Paladin Squad? Guess I should go find out...right?